Sunday, December 9, 2012

Vanilla Lime Yankee Candle Review

Before I get into my review, I just want to say thank you to all those who took the time to comment on my first review on this blog, you girls are wonderful! Really appreciate you taking the time to check out my review and comment on it!

Burning it wrong, I know!


I adore candles. There's nothing more beautiful than a flickering candle night in the dark. And there's nothing better than when it smells fantastic too. 
Now, I've heard so many people rave about the Yankee Candles, and how fantastic they smelt, and I could only sit jealously and read their reviews whilst sulking about the fact that they're not available either in NZ or Japan. 

Or so I thought. 

Whilst browsing through some stores in the mall by the train station, desperately looking for fairy lights for my Japanese sized Christmas tree, I came across, not one, not two, but THREE stores that sold Yankee Candles. I was over the moon and I couldn't wait to make my purchase. Of course, they were over-priced, but heck, I was going to go home with a candle if I wasn't going to go home with my lights. After much sniffing, and sticking various candles up my SO's nose to also have a sniff, I settled for Vanilla Lime. There wasn't much of a range, and as much as I wanted a Christmas-y one, there just weren't any available.

Lighting my candle at home, (in the completely wrong glass holder for it, I know, I know), I waited happily for this delicious Vanilla Lime fragrance to permeate the air. The tartiness of the lime mingling with the sweet vanilla will be delicious!, I thought.

I had so much expectation for this little candle. But it really didn't rock my world. It smelt a bit funny right when it first started burning, like some sort of sour, not so nice, smell. Then, when I had walked out of my room, and come back about 20 minutes later, the weird smell had disappeared and the room smelt like that generic vanilla scent, the one that car air fresheners use, with a tinge of something that could hardly be called a "lime" smell. Luckily, this candle doesn't have a good throw at all, so I couldn't smell it almost at all when I was sitting on my bed.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this candle to anyone. If you see it somewhere for really cheap, then heck, give it a go, but otherwise, I'd steer clear. I've done a bit of research and a lot of people out there love it, but I'm definitely not with them about this candle.

I probably shouldn't judge the rest of the candles just from one, but I have a feeling that I'll be just as disappointed with the others as I have with this one. I think the reason I wasn't happy with this candle is because I own two Glasshouse candles, which are high end candles made by an Australian company, and they are absolutely divine. They are the type of candles you want burning in your house. I'll be doing a review on two of my favourite ones soon, because I just adore them and I think everyone should try one.

Do you burn Yankee Candles? Do you think I was too quick to pass judgement and should give another scent a go? What are your other favourite candle brands?

2 comments:

  1. Sucks when you bring a candle home and it is a disappointing one =( I've had a few Yankee candles, liked them but the scents were a bit random. Vanilla and Lime sounds promising, too bad they didn't pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's happened to me three times in a row now :( I thought the same about the Vanilla and Lime, it smelt good just when you had a sniff of it...if you haven't tried the Glasshouse candles, I highly recommend them! You can buy them from the Peter Alexander stores, and you can find it online as well, it's an Australian company too! :)

      Delete